Random Notes on Food and Fun

Sunday, October 12, 2008

make your own instant soup - Ginger Matchstick






I came upon a recipe in a Kraft magazine and have been changing up this recipe for years. This time vegetarian - the original has chicken in it. Of course, it requires many matchstick cuts (julienne for the culinary crowd, ha). Here is the gist of what I did:

Ginger Matchstick Soup

2 c. matchstick cut carrots, green onions, bell pepper
1 c. mushrooms sliced thin
4 t. minced ginger root (I grate it)
4 c. vegetarian broth (still trying to find a decent one, might have to go back to chicken)
1/2 c. orzo (I did not have the minute rice)

After you have perfected your matchstick cuts, boil the vegetarian broth, add the orzo and cook it to the directions. Add 1/4 of the vegetables and 1/4 of the ginger to each of 4 bowls. Pour 1 c. of broth mixture (boiling) into soup bowls and then cover and let sit for 5 minutes. (kink of like tea). Then serve.

Alternatively (and if you want to take leftovers to work), bring two containers. One with the veggies and ginger and one with the broth. When you are ready to eat it combine the two and microwave for about 2 minutes. Let stand for another minute and then serve.

1 comment:

  1. This was great when I was sick. I got to have fresh veggies and ginger steaming under my nose...at work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails