Random Notes on Food and Fun

Thursday, October 30, 2008

how to make a better corn tortilla





Ok, well, I am not sure I really have that answer but with two cutting boards some saran wrap and a really bad day at work, you too can make your own corn tortillas. First get yourself a 5 lb bag of corn tortilla mix. It's only a couple of bucks; you just add water and it seems to last forever. Just roll them into balls and smash them into thin pancakes and cook them on a cast iron pan for about a minute each side. Well, to be honest, I really need a tortilla press. My SO seems to really like them though. On to the filling -----

Cuban Black Beans

1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped (red or green)
1 clove of garlic minced
1 can of black beans (not drained)
1 teaspoon of white vinegar
1 bay leaf (don't use 10 year old ones OK, use penzeys)

Saute onion, pepper, garlic until soft. Add beans and vinegar and bay leaf. Simmer for 30 minutes.

I also made some roasted sweet potatoes (orange and white). I throw them in a zip lock with some extra virgin olive oil, some steak seasoning and cumin.

Hey, it's a meal right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails